A study published in the Annals of Internal medicine (Jan 2012 issue) reports that conservative care treatment such as chiropractic manipulation or home exercise is more effective than pain medications for acute and subacute neck pain. This was shown for short and longer time treatment periods. This was a 6 year study and involved adults aged 18-65 with non specific mechanical neck pain for a duration of 2-12 weeks. There were three treatment groups:
- Group 1: Received chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy using diversified techniques including adjustments and mobilization
- Group 2: Received home exercises. They were recommended mobilization exercises, neck retraction, lateral bending motions, and scapular retraction. Each exercise was to be performed 5-10 times.
- Group 3: Received medications: NSAIDS, acetaminophen, and muscle relaxers
At 12 weeks, a significantly higher proportion of Group 1 (that received chiropractic treatment)reported a decrease in pain by at least 50%. This was also seen with long term improvement as well.
- Study: Spinal manipulation and exercise are more effective than OTC pain relievers, narcotics and muscle relaxants. Dynamic Chiropractic Feb 12, 2012
- Spinal Manipulation, Medication, or Home Exercise With Advice for Acute and Subacute Neck Pain
The Glastonbury Chiropractor is located in central Connecticut- CT Spine and Disc Center specializes in patients who suffer from sciatica, disc degeneration, bulging disc or herniated disc in the lumbar spine. Call our chiropractic office at 860-633-8756 to schedule an appointment and to see if you are a candidate for non surgical spinal decompression
Additional Reading Resources:
- Glastonbury Chiropractor offers pain relief for sciatica, neck pain, headaches and more
- Lumbar Support Helps Low Back Pain Sufferers
- Non Surgical Spinal Decompression in Connecticut
- Contact the Glastonbury Chiropractor